- 4 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp. chia seed
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1-1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Avocado slices, to top
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/8 cup sriracha
- Shredded cabbage
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Shredded carrots
- In small bowl, combine flax and water to make flax “egg.” Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In pan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic until translucent, about 6 minutes. Mix in kale and remove from heat.
- In food processor or high-speed blender, pulse chickpeas until half are ground and half are slightly chunky.
- In large bowl, combine chickpeas, flax “egg” and remaining ingredients. Fold in kale mixture and adjust spices to taste.
- Wrap mixture in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If crispy burgers are desired, melt coconut oil on parchment paper in oven.
- Remove mixture from fridge. Scoop out 1/3 cup for each burger and place on baking sheet. Bake on center rack for 35-40 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- Prepare sauce. In a small bowl, mix ingredients until incorporated.
- Prepare slaw. In a large bowl, mix ingredients.
- To serve, toast buns and layer burgers, rainbow slaw, avocado and sauce.
Dried chickpeas will expand when soaked, so be sure to use a large container and add extra water throughout soaking, if necessary.
Want more kale? Try these burgers with Kale Slaw instead of Rainbow Slaw.