Recipe slightly adapted from and with thanks to Aggie’s Kitchen
- 4 salmon steaks, large or small,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 2 limes worth
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Additional lime wedges, for serving
- Optional: minced fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
In a small bowl or jar, combine the olive oil, lime juice, chipotle sauce, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Whisk or shake to combine and then pour over the salmon in a flat baking dish. Turn the salmon to make sure it is coated and then cover and place back in the refrigerator. Let it marinate for no more than 1 hour.
After 45 minutes, preheat the broiler and set one oven rack about 6 inches from the top of the oven. Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let it warm slightly on the counter-top while the oven is heating. Transfer the salmon to a large baking sheet or broiler pan and cook for 3 minutes scale side up. Then flip over and cook another 3 minutes, until cooked through. You might need an additional minute or two, but you shouldn’t need more than that. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!